Monday, September 28, 2009

Dating SNL Style

I feel like my dating life has become a Saturday Night Live skit. I went out with a guy from Match.com almost six weeks ago and the first date wasn't all that great. He's originally from Serbia and although we were able to carry on a conversation, it was somewhat awkward. His English is fine but he had a tendency to mumble a lot, so half the conversation was me asking him to repeat himself. The other quirk I noticed was that he would giggle after asking me a question....a nervous kind of giggle. It was somewhat annoying but I figured he was just nervous because it was a first date.

We went out again because I figured the second date might go better - maybe he wouldn't be as nervous. Maybe he wouldn't do the annoying giggle....maybe I would find myself attracted to him (I wasn't noticing that on the first date). He wanted to see a movie, so that's what we did for our second date. Not a good choice as far as I was concerned but whatever. He was 15 minutes late for the date (even though he picked which theater to go to) and the first thing he did was ask how my day was and then that nervous giggle came out! Yuck! We didn't talk during the movie and I was feeling uncomfortable.....I found myself angling away from him in the theater seat and holding my hands together and away from him so he wouldn't attempt to hold my hand.

After the movie he walked me to my truck (it was late, so we had no plans to do anything else). He asked me about going out again...followed by the nervous giggle. (Eeeww) I told him I didn't think there was any chemistry between us and he turned and walked away! I thought that was kind of funny but didn't think anything more of it. I didn't want to be too vague and give him the idea that I was interested.....I definitely was not.

Soooo......this past weekend (about six weeks after this movie date) he emailed me on the dating site! He wanted to know how I was doing and if I'd like to get together again. HUH?? Maybe he forgot who I was? Selective memory?? So, being the straightforward person I am, I emailed him back and reminded him that the last time we had gone out I told him there was no chemistry between us so why would we go out again....?? His response was: "I think you are attractive, I feel there is a connection. Can I call you?"

Seriously?? I thought I was pretty blunt in saying there was no chemistry. Apparently he thinks that he can sway me because HE felt there was a connection! HA! I appreciate persistence but that was just too much! My response: "I am not interested in getting together again and I do not feel a connection with you. Do not contact me."

Do you think maybe that will work?! Sheesh! Can I get a ruling on this? Crazy? Stalker? Language barrier??

3 comments:

Unknown said...

If you "happen" to run into him somewhere... run, really fast. Thats my tip.

Christine Slay said...

maybe not such a bright man?? :-) Did he remember it was you that he went out with 6 weeks ago?

Newildcathusker said...

Jen..you need to write a book about your adventures in the dating world. I was busting a gut reading your dating experiences with the giggling Serbian dude. I agree with your two other friends...get away from the Serbia guy pronto...
Have faith...you will find Mr. RIght...I will send positive thoughts your way...

Take Care,
m