Tuesday, August 24, 2010

E=mc2 (squared)

Albert Einstein, I am NOT! Baby Einstein? Maybe I could handle that level. I am in the process of sweeping the cobwebs out of my brain. Time to use the ole noggin' again.....time to actually think and problem solve. Or at least problem solve things other than how to ramp up someone's workout or how to get patients to exercise at home.

That's right people.....it's been 3 years since I graduated with my Master's in Exercise Physiology and apparently it is time to go bacck to schoo-oooolll!!

I was out of school for about 3 years before I started taking prerequisites for the Master's program at SDSU. And now.....I am taking prerequisites again! YAY! (groan)

So the Fall semester has started and I had my first class today.....Introduction to Physics. SCARY! I have NEVER taken physics in my LIFE! (Much to my BF's dismay) There has never been a need for me to take Physics. We don't need it for Exercise Physiology and I certainly didn't need it for Photography. (I might have needed it for Environmental Sciences but I must have changed my major before I got that far)

Thankfully the class isn't ALL 18-year old's fresh out of high school. There are about 3 other people in the class who are over the legal drinking age....possibly even old enough to rent a car. There is even a woman in the class who is OLDER THAN ME!! Yippee!! Although she is only taking the class for fun. (HUH?) Apparently she has completed all her prereq's to get into Nursing school but is on a waiting list, so she is keeping busy by taking more classes.....like Physics and Trigonometry. (What's wrong with underwater basket weaving?)

So there is a good chance that my professor is the same age as me.....she might even be younger, it's kind of hard to tell. But she seems nice and determined to make sure everyone understands the concepts. (BONUS!)

So we started off with a trigonometry refresher.....good thing since I took that class in......oh.... 1994 or so! Pythagorean Theorem.....hmmmm, yep! I remember that term! COS, SIN, TAN....vaguely recall seeing those in class. Using them to determine the theta (angle) or hypotenuse or the side of a triangle?? FAT chance I'd remember that!! Ok, so after she explains it and goes over examples, I am understanding it better, HOWEVER, I didn't even realize that I'd need something more than a basic calculator for this class. Apparently you need one of the mini computers kids (yes, I called them kids) have nowadays that have a 3 inch screen where you can type five lines of mathematical equations (my heart rate has definitely increased and I can feel my cortisol levels increasing as well). SHIT! I vividly remember avoiding classes where I needed one of those calculators!!

Thankfully, the professor has informed the class that a Scientific calculator....not necessarily a graphing calculator, will work just fine. That I can do...much less intimidating!

So I made it through the first day of lecture with minimal problems (and no panic attacks). We have a lab right after our lecture although today there was about 45 minutes between the two because our lecture ended early. (Another BONUS!) So I ate my lunch at the same table and just hung out.....and discovered that the guys sitting at my table were gaming geeks. FORTY-FIVE minutes they were talking about which game was better on which system and the code behind the games....BLAH, BLAH, BLAH...... I considered using my fork to stab the geek closest to me to make them realize how geeky they were all being BUT I might need his help in class at some point, so I refrained.

Lab was short and sweet. Syllabus handed out.....explained.....and practice problems given. DONE! See you next week! WOOHOO!

So yes, I am taking a Physics class which meets twice a week. I just found out today I was also able to add a class in Abnormal Psychology which is all ONLINE! (DOUBLE BONUS!) Yes, I will be busy but at least I will be able to get two prereq's out of the way!

BTW - the prereq's I am taking are getting me closer to entering into a Doctorate program for Physical Therapy....wish me luck!! Or recommend a good Physics tutor.....although my BF is very well educated in Physics, so maybe I'm okay there......MAYBE! I will definitely welcome any helpful hints or tips for class!!

1 comment:

Sara Grout, Organically Fit said...

Yay! I just knew you'd be going to get your Doctorate in Physical Therapy!!! Congrats!!! :) Where will you be entering this program? Does SDSU have one or any other school in SD? Keep us posted!! Thanks for the blog!