Monday, October 13, 2008

Economic help....

We are all feeling the hardships imposed by the recent changes in our economy and the news stations are all bringing us information on how we can save money in various ways. I was watching the Today Show this morning and they had a segment talking about trading items instead of purchasing - trading online is becoming much more popular now that people are all having financial troubles. So for those of you who may want to check it out....I have three listed below that seemed the most interesting and useful.

Zwaggle - This site is a national network of parents who have come together to share items they have from their kids. So if you have a car seat that is too small for your child, you can go on this site and post it as available. If someone "purchases" it, you get a certain number of points which you can use to "purchase" something that you need. They have all different categories - clothing, furniture, toys, DVD's, sporting goods, etc. Great site for any parent but especially new parents!!

Swaptree - This site swaps similar items but is not just geared towards kids or parents. With this site you actually list everything you plan to trade and they calculate what you could receive in trade. You mail in your items (almost everything can be mailed for less than $3) and then you get to look through the site and choose what items you now want. Aside from the minimal mailing fee, everything is completely free. It's an outright trade...no bartering or fees for products.

Bookmooch - This one definitely caught my eye!! I am an avid reader and love getting new books but it can get expensive if you keep buying new books. This site also uses points to trade. You just list the books you are willing to trade and wait for interested people to contact you. Then you mail your books to the interested party and use the points to go shopping for books that you are interested in adding to your collection!

Well, I am going to go check out the book site and see what they have available!! I hope you get a chance to try these sites out and I hope they help you!! At the very least you can save yourself some money while we are going through this economic rollercoaster!! Happy shopping!

3 comments:

Jody Reale said...

I won't lie; I do love saving money with trade/swap sites, but I especially love using sites like Zwaggle because I get to feel good about keeping stuff out of the landfill while saving my hard-earned dough. Thanks for sharing these. (And hey, I studied ex phys too. Nice to see we have so much in common.)

Beth said...

Thank you for the info! I will definitely look into these trade sites ... great way to reduce, reuse, recycle.

Beth said...

Tag, you're it! Please visit my site for details.