Monday, October 27, 2008

Wide feet = Fashion Outcast?

This is a gripe post...it's a gripe I've had for a LONG time. I had a recent reminder of it so I felt the need to share. I have wide feet....not FAT feet, the bones in my forefoot make my foot a D width. This sucks....in general it sucks and being a female looking for dress shoes, it REALLY sucks! I've been able to find tennis shoes that fit - thank God for New Balance - but dress shoes are another matter altogether. Many, many, many shoe brands do NOT offer wide widths which means that most shoe stores do NOT carry anything I can wear. This sucks. This is why I have always hated shoe shopping. I can never find something I like AND can actually wear. So through the years I have learned my limited choices.....I can buy shoes at Payless Shoesource, which is great because they offer wide widths for almost every shoe they sell! The only problem is they are not the best quality. I have also found that Nordstrom's sells wide width shoes - yippee!! Now if only I was rich and had LOTS of disposable income, I could afford to spend $150 (minimum) on a pair of shoes. The other option is to go to specialty stores that carry wide widths. Have you ever been to one? They all assume that you are a woman over the age of 60 with cankles and a variety of foot problems. So the shoe selection is limited to nurse looking shoes or very supportive but very ugly "old lady" shoes! Seriously?? I have a wedding I am in next month and so this is what brought the issue to the forefront again. I am a fan of Kohl's for clothes shopping so I thought I'd check out their shoe selection. Hallelujah! They have wide width shoes!! Woohoo!!......oh....actually they do have wide width shoes but they start at size 7. Naturally I wear a size 6.5!! Murphy's law!! Anyone have any other place that I could try????


Signed,
Extremely frustrated!!

1 comment:

Christine Slay said...

Try Nordstrom Rack.. they have wide widths and at a cheaper price!