Thursday, May 6, 2010

In a Wii Bit of Pain

So I know that the Wii has been out for a long time but I've never been that into video games, so I didn't get caught up in the excitement with everyone else. My good friends Mariana and Steve introduced me to the Wii Fit which was fun and I can see (as a Personal Trainer and Exercise Physiologist) how it could be beneficial for people to use as a workout tool. There are definitely some challenging programs available!

So this past weekend my friend Pita had a Wii party so that we could watch each other get super competitive and make asses of ourselves. It was a blast!!

The best game we played was the Raving Rabbids Dance game. You can't understand a word the Rabbids are saying but the game is fairly easy to pick up. You simply follow the dance moves that a stick figure is doing on the screen. The trick is that you have to do the correct move at precisely the right time during the song to get the most points.

I am not a dancer. I have definitely been known to get down on the dance floor in clubs....after consuming an alcoholic drink....or four. So dancing is not my strong suit...or my weak suit for that matter. Luckily, these dance moves are fairly basic, mostly arm movements since you are holding the controllers in your hands. It's the timing and coordination that is the killer!!  I definitely needed a few practice rounds before I got the hang of the game but it's still challenging! Some of those moves come at you FAST! Then of course there's the added challenge of having your opponent standing too close to you so that you either hit them (sorry Mariana) or you get your controller tangled with theirs (sorry Lauren). See....it's a good thing I haven't tortured my friends with club dancing lately....someone could have been seriously injured!


Some photos for your enjoyment.....


Here is Lauren and Juan competing against each other. Note the intensity of their concentration.


I don't remember who won this round but I think it was close.




Here you see Lauren again, this time competing against Mariana (the former Rabbid Champ!) Ha Ha Ha!

Notice both of them are smiling and acting like their just playing for fun but really they are both SUPER competitive!








I LOVE this picture. It's not so great of Lauren and Steve who are competing BUT look past Steve. That's Helen, Pita's Mom, who is mimicking the dance moves!! She was rolling her eyes about the game at first and then she felt the need to join in with the dancing! We didn't get her to actually play though....maybe next time.....

I do not have any pictures of Todd competing against Pita, sorry.....things got a little crazy with that duo. Furniture was overturned, fists were flying, legs flailing, and the Wii nunchuks were all over the place! I think we need to pad the walls for their next match.







1 comment:

Christine Slay said...

That sounds like a lot of fun - esp. with Helen!