Saturday, May 29, 2010

Pilates Enthusiast

Ok, so despite my last entry, which I know was awhile ago, I have been regularly going to these Pilates Reformer classes for the past few weeks. Guess what? I am loving it!! Yes I do have issues with masochism (I am sure my clients and some of the patients would attest to that.....no wait, that would be sadism they could attest to). Anyway....I do enjoy a good workout that leaves you feeling sore. Otherwise, what is the point? If I am not sore after a workout, then it was NOT a good workout!

I have done about 8 Pilates Reformer classes now and I have been sore after every single one! It's GREAT! Lauren and I were introduced to the springboard and the jump board. Both of which were excellent cardio/strength workouts.



The springboard offers a whole different range of exercises you can do using handles or a bar attached to springs which are then attached to the wall (see pics). So our initiation included jump squats, chest press, triceps extensions, V-ups (abs) and oblique raises (killer exercise). We were both hitting the wall towards the end of that workout. Especially with the oblique exercise: feet against the wall, legs stacked on top of each other, twisted at the waist so your shoulders are on the floor and then holding the bar with both hands. You lift your upper body off the floor about 20 times. Then we had to hold our upper body off the floor and do 20 small pulses in the same position. Then switch sides! Whew!! I definitely felt my obliques hit muscle fatigue with that one!

At another class Lauren and I did most of the session using a jump board. This involved the reformer but you place a board at the base (See pic) which allows you to do "jumping" exercises with resistance. For instance we would jump off the board and do a leg lift (and then repeat 20 times), then do a hip abduction (and repeat 20 times), then leg circles (10 in each direction). Then when you feel like your leg is going to fall off, or at least it feels like it's on fire, you switch sides and torture the other leg!

After those grueling exercises, our instructor had us do sit ups using the jump board and the spine corrector (otherwise known as the hump-see pic). So you sit on this thing with your feet on the jump board and your upper body at a 45 degree angle. You "jump" off the board and bring your body upright as much as you can before going back to that 45 degree angle before your feet hit the board again. Plyometric ab exercises!! Awesome!!

So now I am officially hooked. I am using my coupons (see previous post) to try out different Pilates studios and instructors. I am on to my second studio now and still like the first one better but I am enjoying the workouts anyway. I can't wait to see what the third studio is like!!

Any other Pilates enthusiasts out there??

No comments: